RE: I can't keep it up...

To: "Dr L. Kevin McNelis" <kmcnelis@nmsu.edu>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I can't keep it up...
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:34:41 -0500
I can see from the lack of responses that this is a difficult topic for
many members.

Kevin, you have ED. Emergency-brake Dysfunction. Once attributed to an
under-supply of nitrogen we now know that an over-supply of ferrous
oxide is often the cause. In chronic cases a new unit may be required
but often simple lubrication can deliver satisfactory results.

I like to start with a visual inspection of the rear end. This is best
done by raising the back end and with help from a friend who is raising
and lowering the unit make sure that all the levers, linkages and
especially cables are moving freely. If they are seized this will
prevent achieving and sustaining a more vertical position.

If all looks good down below I would then move to the unit itself. By
removing the nut on the right the unit can be detached from the body !.
Once on the bench, 30 plus years of abuse will be apparent with
corrosion, worn and bent parts and a chipped finish. Clean it up,
lubricate and make sure all the parts are moving freely (button, rod,
spring and especially the ratchet.

Hopefully the remedy will be simple and rectified with a dose of WD40.

Stan