Re: [6pack] Tr6 Master cylinder

To: Michael S Zakis <64spitfire@pa.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Tr6 Master cylinder
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:05:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Michael S Zakis wrote:

> I am thinking of installing Toyota Calipers on my 74 TR6.
> Is there  also an up grade for the master cylinder?

Why?

This is a serious question.

Some racers go to individual master cylinders with a balance bar, but this
is overkill for a street car. It's also expensive and you have to do a lot
of fabricating.

But if you want a modern M/C with a booster, go to the junkyanrd and have
fun! The biggest problem is that the pedal ratio for Triumph is apparently
not too common, so you may have to futz with the booster mounting to get
the system to either "work at all" or "not lock up at the slightest
provocation".

To be honest, the stock setup is more than adequate if you can lock up
your brakes. If you can't lock up the brakes, go through the system and
find out why. TR6 brakes are very adequate.

Also, if you read between the lines on the Toyota 4-pot upgrade articles,
you'll see that they got better stopping distance by going to larger rear
wheel cylinders, NOT because of the 4-pots. The one drawback to moving the
balance to the rear - it's a lot easier to spin the car if you don't know
how to drive.

rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489