[6pack] Vibration when letting clutch out

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Vibration when letting clutch out
From: "James_ TR6" <jattr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:14:47 +0000
This seems to be something a few have experienced...
maybe prone to TR6's?

Ok, years ago i had a vibration when letting the clutch out from a stop to
go into first. i was told it was most likely 'clutch chatter' from a
pressure plate that was
not torqued down properly. so i tore everything apart - installed a new
clutch/bearing/plate.
(if you go that far, may as well replace it!) it seemed to fix the problem.

well, the chatter is BACK. i suspect it could be a u-joint. ugh. the car has
been sitting a while.
so the u-joints could have dried up or something.?? It doesn't do it ALL the
time...if it starts,
i sometimes give more gas and ride the clutch a little bit to avoid the
vibration.

u-joints would be my first area to look. is there a way to tell without
extracting all the drive shafts?
I think the rear side shafts need to be taken out and held in the hands to
feel for slop.

Or, does it sound like something wrong with the driveshaft itself?
i seem to remember only one way to put the shaft together (one spline on the
inside is
larger than the others) but i read recently on the list that there are
arrows to line up the shaft?
maybe that is for older drive shafts? mine is a 1976 model.

thanks for any insights.

james