Re: [6pack] Gas in oil

To: jmitch@snet.net (John Mitchell)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Gas in oil
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 23:39:35 -0700
 John---Hang on to the old AC pump, as rebuild kits are available at a
fraction of the cost of replacement AC pumps. (Check the diaphragm in
the one you suspect as having leaked)

When there's a serious leak from the pump, or carburetor float sticking
open, it should register on the dipstick, given enough time. Normal
combustion bi-products will give oil a fuel-like smell also, when
sniffing the dipstick.

Short of dropping the pan and looking for fuel entering down thru the
block, you can also pinch off the rubber hose that sends fuel to the
carbs. The latter method would work best if the pan was first emptied.
Later on, removing the drainplug might then reveal that gas is still
getting down to the pan, but not thru the carbs. (Line is still pinched
off)

Dick
John wrote:
 ....Upon checking my oil, It smelled of gasoline, but I have not been
able to detect and increase in the oil volume on the stick. When I had
the engine out for bearings over the winter, I replaced the fuel pump
with an NOS unit because the old pump had leaked into the crankcase and
had caused the need for bearings. Being NOS would make me suspect the
diaphragm leaking, but I think it could also be caused by a stuck float
in a carburetor. Is there someway to sort out where the problem is
without pulling the pan and looking for the drip?
If I remove the fuel pump, how can I tell if it's leaking?

 Thanks for any advice. John Mitchell 76 TR6