RE: [6pack] fan belt clearance - help!

To: "Loriot, George" <George_Loriot@Brown.edu>, 6pack
Subject: RE: [6pack] fan belt clearance - help!
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:26:36 -0600
>===== Original Message From "Loriot, George" <George_Loriot@Brown.edu> =====
>Hi Listers, I daw upon your wisdom to help me with what should be simple
>but....
>
>I can't remove the fan belt on my TR6 - i followed some old postings about
>removing the tubular cross-member but now the belt can't clear the steering
>rack!  There just isn't enough clearance between the crankshaft pulley and
the
>steering rack.  I tried prying the engine back to remove slop in he motot
>mounts but I didn't move.  Is this a standard thing?  Do I haveto remove the
>steering rack to chnage the fan belt?  Say it isn't so!
>
>Has anyone had this problem before?  Shoul I try to lift the engine?  I don't
>think I should put a lot of force on teh rack to try to get the belet through
>the space between it and the pulley.
>
>This is a 76 TR6 so it has 1/2" fan belt.  The mechanical fan has been
removed
>and electric fan installed.
>
>Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
>
>George Loriot
>1976 TR6

George,

 Sounds as if your motor mounts have sagged. Time to lift the engine to get
the belt out/new one in. A block of wood to spread the load on the pan should
protect it. It won't take much lifting to gain your needed clearance but you
might also consider replacing your motor mounts.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)
http://www.triumphowners.com/690  (1978 TR8)