[6pack] fan belt clearance - help!

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] fan belt clearance - help!
From: "Loriot, George" <George_Loriot@Brown.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:23:16 -0400
Hi Listers, I daw upon your wisdom to help me with what should be simple
but....

I can't remove the fan belt on my TR6 - i followed some old postings about
removing the tubular cross-member but now the belt can't clear the steering
rack!  There just isn't enough clearance between the crankshaft pulley and the
steering rack.  I tried prying the engine back to remove slop in he motot
mounts but I didn't move.  Is this a standard thing?  Do I haveto remove the
steering rack to chnage the fan belt?  Say it isn't so!

Has anyone had this problem before?  Shoul I try to lift the engine?  I don't
think I should put a lot of force on teh rack to try to get the belet through
the space between it and the pulley.

This is a 76 TR6 so it has 1/2" fan belt.  The mechanical fan has been removed
and electric fan installed.

George Loriot