Re: [6pack] do I need an oil cooler?

To: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] do I need an oil cooler?
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:42:00 -0700
Joe----I would say you do not need an oil cooler, based on your
pressures.They are very normal for the circumstances. (Maybe even higher
than most, at hot and cold idle) One can run around town all day and not
get the oil very hot. II takes sustained higher road speeds to get the
pressure down to where you seem concerned. Fear not...

Dick

From:
Lizirbydavis@cs.com

I've done a lot of long distance >90 degree driving in the TR6 this
summer, and have noticed a decrease in oil pressure. My engine has
25,000 miles on it. I'm running 15W/50 synthetic oil with a spin on
filter and no external feed to the head. At start up, the oil pressure
is 95lbs at idle. Once warmed up, the pressure at 3000 rpms is 70lbs, at
idle about 50lbs. Once really warmed up, usually after about 20 miles of
hot driving the oil pressure at 3000 rpms drops to about 60 lbs, but at
idle the pressure is only about 25lbs! The car burns no oil and runs
strong. Do I need an oil cooler? Joe Davis