Re: [6pack] CD-175 Mixture adjustment?

To: rmweber_99@yahoo.com (rweber)
Subject: Re: [6pack] CD-175 Mixture adjustment?
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:59:48 -0700
 Ron---If you get the 6PACK Newsletter, check back a few Issues, as
Vance wrote a fine article about these ZS carbs. Meanwhile, here is my
recollection on the different models:

The non-adjustable jet  type has the blank plug, as you surmised. I
think this plug still had to be removed to expose the adjustment screw,
on those that can be adjusted.

Unless you are the original owner, the style you are looking at may be
substitutes.

Measuring down from the surface of the bridge to the top of the jet (not
the jet bushing) should show a reading of about .125. If the jets are
fixed, it's possible to change this measurement, but not easy.
 If they are screw-adjustable, lowering the jet will make the mixture
richer, (as would raising the needles) I'd start with a setting of .125
on both jets, and adjust from there, if necessary.
(This assumes fixed needles)

The carbs with adjustable needles should show and fit a 1/8 inch hex
socket at the bottom of the damper tube. If you have this feature and
the needle won't move, it could be stuck, more likely in the "rich"
setting. (Some lacquer thinner can sometimes free these up)

Is it possible that you "fixed" the richness issue when freeing up the
float valves?

Dick
From:
rmweber_99@yahoo.com(rweber)

I've got a little dilema. I just had to rebuild the carbs due to

 a sticking float/needle issue that was causing gas to flood out of the
rear carb of my 71 TR6.

The problem I have is the carbs incorporate fixed needles that are not
adjustable through the top of the carb with the normal adjustment tool
although all literature I can find indicate the 71s are supposed to be
adjustable. The carb type seems correct but I am puzzled why there are
no mixture adjustment features. During the rebuild, I noticed that
instead of the blank plug on the bottom of the carbs, it is a large
screw-in plug with a slot in it that looks like it is sized for a
quarter or nickle that allows this plug to thread in and out.

My question for the list is: Does this threaded plug serve the same
function as the normal needle mixture adjustment or is it simply a
threaded plug?

If it is the mixture adjustment, where do I set it initially and which
direction leans or richens the mix? Screwing them in or out doesn't
appear to move the needle seat at all.

Before I rebuilt them, the carbs were running quite rich so I hope these
plugs will allow me to adjust it properly. Any thoughts, ideas, advice
etc are greatly appreciated.
    Ron W.
  71TR6