Re: [6pack] Suspension rebuild

To: colinthom@shaw.ca (Colin Thom)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Suspension rebuild
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 13:09:30 -0700
 Colin---The heavy duty front axles, or at least the wheel bearing
spacers that is part of the kit, seem to go a long way in reducing pedal
drop. Those who find that they lose some pedal after making sharp turns
will appreciate that setting their wheel bearings using solid spacers
(and the shims that accompany the kit) gives better control on how much
the brake pads can get pushed back into the calipers.

Other parts in the suspension come into play here, so this is not a
magic bullet for all. One has to shake the rotor hard, to uncover any
looseness. (Like in the trunnion)

I don't think that the stock axles flex all that much in normal driving.
Hard, racing turns is another story.

One place you can find the above is in the competition section of TRF's
parts catalogues. "Uncle Jack" is the handle of the guy who makes up
these parts, and apparantly sells them to some of the TR parts
suppliers.

Dick

From:
colinthom@shaw.ca(Colin Thom)

Hi Rick,

..... One thing I have not done, and listers will probably agree that we
all should, is install the stiff front axles that don't flex. I can't
remember where ya get them, but if you Google it or post a querry to the
list, you'll find out quickly enough.
I hear that this is a must-do. I think Dick Taylor did it recently so
perhaps he'll
weigh in....

Colin.