Re: [6pack] emissions controls

To: johnehorton@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] emissions controls
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 15:31:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 johnehorton@yahoo.com wrote:

> Does anyone know if removing the emissions I.E. carbon canister cause
> aby problems? I intend to plug the openings.

I guess that depends on what you call problems.

:-)

Seriously, unless the canister is clogged or otherwise "bad", you should
leave it in. If you take the evap. system out of the car, your garage will
smell like gasoline (aka petrol) all the time. If you have an attached
garage, your S.O. will complain ceaselessly about "that smelly car".

But the bottom of the canister should have a solonoid on it that drops
your manifold vauum to zero when you turn the key off. If you leave that
off the engine, you'll be popping the clutch in gear to stop the motor
from "running on" when you switch the key off.

In my book, that's two "strikes" for removing the evap stuff.

> John 1976 TR6

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489