RE: [6pack] Rust and fuel pump questions

To: "Rick Norris" <rnorris1@swbell.net>, "6-Pack List Serve"
Subject: RE: [6pack] Rust and fuel pump questions
From: "Robert N. Clark" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:05:31 -0700
Rick,

I can't comment on the rust but how much gas is in your fuel tank?  If
it is above the level of the disconnected supply line, there might be
enough pressure from gravity to force the small amount you are seeing
past the fuel pump.

Bob Clark
'69 TR6

I have a couple of quick questions the first of which concerns rust. I
noticed on the aft most brace under the hood of my '75 were little
bubbles of rust covering an span of about 6 inches. Without giving it a
whole lot of thought, I simply sanded the area down to bare metal,
masked it off, and sprayed it with red rattle can primer. My intention
is to obtain a spray can of touch up paint from PaintScratch or one of
the other sources since the area is under the hood and out of sight. Now

I see a rust encapsulator from The Eastwood Company and am wondering if
using something like that would have been a better approach and would
that have avoided a need for touch up.

The second issue is that I've disconnected the fuel lines from my carbs
as I prepare to remove them for rebuild and there is a persistent drip
of fuel from the front carb's hose. I've lifted the entire apparatus to
a level above the carbs and, indeed, as high as I can get the plumbing
in the engine compartment, plugged the end of hose and, still, there is
this persistent seepage. Is there that much pressure maintained by the
fuel pump? I opened the fuel filler cap thinking that might relieve any
pressure but walking into the garage this morning I got a whiff of fuel
fumes and the end of the hose was/is wet. What's up with that?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, it's greatly appreciated!