[6pack] Rust and fuel pump questions

To: 6-Pack List Serve <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Rust and fuel pump questions
From: Rick Norris <rnorris1@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:46:28 -0500
I have a couple of quick questions the first of which concerns rust. I
noticed on the aft most brace under the hood of my '75 were little
bubbles of rust covering an span of about 6 inches. Without giving it a
whole lot of thought, I simply sanded the area down to bare metal,
masked it off, and sprayed it with red rattle can primer. My intention
is to obtain a spray can of touch up paint from PaintScratch or one of
the other sources since the area is under the hood and out of sight. Now
I see a rust encapsulator from The Eastwood Company and am wondering if
using something like that would have been a better approach and would
that have avoided a need for touch up.

The second issue is that I've disconnected the fuel lines from my carbs
as I prepare to remove them for rebuild and there is a persistent drip
of fuel from the front carb's hose. I've lifted the entire apparatus to
a level above the carbs and, indeed, as high as I can get the plumbing
in the engine compartment, plugged the end of hose and, still, there is
this persistent seepage. Is there that much pressure maintained by the
fuel pump? I opened the fuel filler cap thinking that might relieve any
pressure but walking into the garage this morning I got a whiff of fuel
fumes and the end of the hose was/is wet. What's up with that?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, it's greatly appreciated!