Re: [6pack] Dashboard

To: "Dr L. Kevin McNelis" <kmcnelis@nmsu.edu>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Dashboard
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
  Kevin:

  I've heard from a person who had a repo dash made that he had trouble with
the piece not lasting because the backside and edges were not properly sealed.
I'm told that the makers simply coated those areas with varnish or poly instead
of the OE style paint. It's claimed that the paint makes a difference in terms
of moisture protection and stablilty.

  I dunno if this is a valid point, as I've never seen this in person. I
refurbished my OE dash that was delaminating and cracking. (Yes, I repainted
the backside and edges.) After 2 1/2 years it's still holding together and
looks good.  I'd reckon you'd know more about how to stabilze wood than me.
This is what I've been told.

  The black walnut sound too cool! Post some pics while you make it. We'd like
to see how it looks.

  Jim

(snip)