[6pack] Scratch from second to third

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Scratch from second to third
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:02:11 -0700 (PDT)
Aaron's problem is similar to one I had about 10 years ago after I swapped my 4
speed trans for an OD trans.  Afterward I noticed I had a scratch from second
to third when I shifted a little more rapidly than normal.  Soooo, being the
masochistic type of British car owner that I am I bought and installed all new
synchros and bearings for my not so new OD trans.  Afterward it shifted exactly
the same way it had before the rebuild and I have learned to live with the
scratch.  One of my racer friends said the way he used to solve these type of
problems was to use valve lapping compound between the synchros before you
install them to ensure that they mate smoothly to each other thereby maximizing
the synchro effect.  My trans still has the scratch every now and then when I
get a little exuberant but I'm not going to open up that trans again unless I
have to.  Good luck.

  Mike Lunsford, 1070 TR 6 OD

 Check out  the hottest 2008 models today at Yahoo! Autos.