[6pack] [TR] TR6 counter shaft

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Alan Salvatore"
Subject: [6pack] [TR] TR6 counter shaft
From: "Tomislav Marincic" <tomislav.marincic@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:33:18 -0500
Al,

There was a bad batch of countershafts/layshafts a few years ago that wore out
quickly. I would wager both TRF and Moss have good ones now, but don't buy one
that's been on the shelf at some vendor for a while.

IN MY OPINION, part of the problem is that the later transmissions use "caged"
roller bearings on the countershaft. These come with their own bearing surface,
so when you replace the bearing, it rides on a new piece of metal, not on the
shaft itself. If you use the older style "open" bearings, however, they ride
directly on the shaft, so a soft shaft will get chewed up in short order.
Perhaps the manufacturer that made the batch of soft layshafts presumed we
would all be using caged bearings?

The good news is the later-style caged bearings can be used in early
transmissions, making the layshaft choice less critical. Since I'm an
obsessive-compulsive personality in training, I used a hardened layshaft that
had been machined to accept a third bearing, like the 2500 Police sedans
supposedly use. 50% more bearing area, plus caged bearings, so if the shaft was
soft it shouldn't be a high wear item.

Good Luck, Tom

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" Henry David Thoreau

http://www.triumphowners.com/735