Re: [6pack] high-output 43 AMP alternator

To: "Ryan Van Luchene" <dejabuzzed@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] high-output 43 AMP alternator
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:08:49 -0800
        Ryan:

        Little known fact: The three wire Lucas alternators have all the
stuff for a 5 wire connections. Lucas merely changed the plastic cover
on the rear of the alternator to cover the other terminals.
        I took one of the later 3 terminal alternators, and pulled off
the rear plastic cover (two or three screws holds it on). By swapping on
the cover off my 5 wire alternator, I converted the newer alternator to
the older style connections. No special adapter needed. As I recall, in
addition to swapping the rear cover, I had to move a spade lug from the
old one to the new one (it was held on by one screw, so it was easy to
swap).
        Presto. I have a later 43 amp alternator with an earlier 5 wire
harness.
        I didn't know about this little trick, the parts man at Baxter
showed it to me. I got a replacement alternator (the 18ACR) and I
noticed that my wiring harness would not fit - and said he got me the
wrong alternator. He showed me what to do - it took 5 minutes. Now there
was a professional who knew what he was doing.

        Vance