Re: [6pack] Weber DCOE's, Trumpets and Filters, 74.5 TR6

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Weber DCOE's, Trumpets and Filters, 74.5 TR6
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:02:12 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Foster, Stan wrote:

> Hi.. This is a question for anyone that has done the 3xDCOE 40mm conversion
> and has a later model TR6 (it has extra clearance between carbs and inner wing
> wheel arch). I would like to know what length trumpets you used and what
> thickness filter enclosures and how much clearance you ended up with between
> the filter enclosure and the inner wing.

Use the short trumpets and the shorter K&Ns. If you get the long trumpets,
the 3 inch K&N's don't fit unless you hack the inner fender. There  are
"socks" and other airfilters out there for the triple webers that will fit
with the long horns, but not the K&N 3". ITG was one of those options. Not
cheap, but it should work.

The problem is not the actual clearance but how the K&N attaches. The K&N
has a center "lug" that the filter goes over and then there's a cover that
slips over the top and attaches via a center screw. With that lug in the
way, you can't deform the filter enough to clear the lug. Then there's the
issue of securing the center screw...

There MAY be an oval K&N cone that might work, but the vast majority of
street-driven TR6's that I've seen just use the short air horns and the
short filters (I think the short filters are 1.75" tall).

The power difference between the long and short horns is not a big deal
unless you pay a lot of $$$ for "constant radius" air horns from the likes
of TWM and even then the advantages aren't huge unlees you get on a dyno
and tweak.

> Thanks...
>
> Stan

regards
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489