Re: [6pack] U-joint removal, last trick in my book

To: John North <johncnorth@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] U-joint removal, last trick in my book
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:13:33 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, John North wrote:

> Gone through all my tricks, "tapping", beating, two sockets in a vise
> etc trying to get the last prop shaft u-joint out of the flange.
> Last night I heated it up with a propane torch, still won't move with
> the two-sockets-in-a-vise method.   One last shot is to put it in the
> freezer for a couple hours and then try the propane torch again.   It
> strikes me that this is serious torture and maybe the metal can't
> handle that without cracking.   What do you think?   Will that damage
> the flange?

Will it damage the flange? The answer depends on how hot. Heat that baby
to cherry red and you might as well throw the whole thing out. You should
never need heat for this job.

Get the cups out as far as you can with the pushing method, i.e. push
'till the u-joint bottoms on the yoke. Then use a pair of hefty pliers on
the exposed cup and twist / tap. They come out every time.

I have never frozen these parts for fitment, but about the only time that
would help would be when you re-assemble (to get the caps a "tad"
smaller), but you really don't need to do that.

> John North

rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489