Re: [6pack] TR6 Colours (Clarifications)

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, "Oliver"
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 Colours (Clarifications)
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:40:05 -0000
Vance Navarette wrote:
>Thinking back a bit, I would swear that I read that the blacked
>out frame and Kammback came from the American marketing arm for Triumph.
>Do I have that wrong too?

Can't say aye or nay on that one, Vance. Given that the body design was from
German Design House
Karmann, there are many memories I have from within the company that the
designer was alleged by his
critics to have been a frustrated architect of the "Blockhaus" of the Atlantic
Wall in France from
WW2 - and please, German listers, don't get upset about that. It was all a long
time ago :) However,
ya gotta admit that those massive gun emplacements and TR6 backends do have
certain
similarities...........?

>As for my pronounced TR6 inferiority complex, you could make me
>feel *MUCH* better (and of course pave the way for good international
>relations) if you sent me a 150HP PI setup. Then you wouldn't need to
>listen to me pout. What do you think - good idea or what? Puh-leaaase?

Now you really are wanting to wear a Joseph Lucas hairshirt, aren't you? So you
want to go down the
road of overheating fuel pump in the boot, pressure relief valve warble,
erratic timing of the
metering unit off the dizzy drive, datum track/engine vacuum adjustments,
sticking injector needles
and fouled up plugs in traffic. Why not, it's all part of the injection
experience - but you can do
almost the same for less money and none of the hassle. Take the head to 9.5:1,
a TriumphTune 6-3-1
extractor manifold, TR5PI cam, Lucas D25 dizzy and two nicely set-up SU's.
That'll give you TR6PI
performance, a load of fun, none of the worries and virtually the same sound
out of the back end:)

>Your poor American cousin,

Who is the poorer is debatable. My PI is giving me 22mpimpg on a good day and
with gas prices here
at around US$7.70 a US gallon, I'm seriously thinking of swapping the Triumph
engine for a good six
cylinder turbo-diesel!

Jonmac