[6pack] Really need help!

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Really need help!
From: "Couzelis,William M." <William.Couzelis@CNA.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 19:34:53 -0500
Hi All,
    Another hard-to-diagnose problem has raised it's ugly head.  I have
    '71 TR6 with stock Stromberg's.  The car starts OK with the choke,
but
    will stall if I don't keep gas on it.  After about a minute, the
idle
    starts to pick up and will go all the way to 1400-1500rpm's.  One
    problem is that I can't get the idle down - the idle screws are
backed
    out all the way and are not even a factor.  When I shut it off, I
get
    dieseling (I use 93 octane and heat range 12 plugs).
    Another weird thing is that it did this with two totally different
    Stromberg carburators.  All were rebuilt.  The distributor is
somewhat
    advanced, but I tried a number of settings from way retard to way
    advanced.  Fuel pressure is about 3psi and manifold pressure is 18.
    have a sport coil with elec. Ignition.
    I changed the distributor when I found that the old one had a
    non-functioning vacuum retard and "frozen" weights and springs.  I
found
    one that had a good vacuum retard and loose weights and springs -
but
    that is when all of this weird stuff started happening.  Can it be
    distributor related?  When running, the car runs great.  Strong pull
and
    smooth acceleration.  Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.
    Bill Couzelis

Bill Couzelis

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The contents of this e-mail message and any
attachments are intended solely for the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged
information. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to
you in error, please
immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and
any attachments. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or
storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.