Re: [6pack] Really need help!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Really need help!
From: Bob <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 07:38:02 -0400
On Tuesday 08 September 2009 08:34:53 pm Couzelis,William M. wrote:
> Hi All,
>     Another hard-to-diagnose problem has raised it's ugly head.  I have
>     '71 TR6 with stock Stromberg's.  The car starts OK with the choke,
> but
>     will stall if I don't keep gas on it.  After about a minute, the
> idle
>     starts to pick up and will go all the way to 1400-1500rpm's.  One
>     problem is that I can't get the idle down - the idle screws are
> backed
>     out all the way and are not even a factor.  When I shut it off, I
> get
>     dieseling (I use 93 octane and heat range 12 plugs).
>     Another weird thing is that it did this with two totally different
>     Stromberg carburators.  All were rebuilt.  The distributor is
> somewhat
>     advanced, but I tried a number of settings from way retard to way
>     advanced.  Fuel pressure is about 3psi and manifold pressure is 18.
>     have a sport coil with elec. Ignition.
>     I changed the distributor when I found that the old one had a
>     non-functioning vacuum retard and "frozen" weights and springs.  I
> found
>     one that had a good vacuum retard and loose weights and springs -
> but
>     that is when all of this weird stuff started happening.  Can it be
>     distributor related?  When running, the car runs great.  Strong pull
> and
>     smooth acceleration.  Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.
>     Bill Couzelis
>

> Bill Couzelis

Bill,

I dont have an answer because I am an SU guy. First thing I did on my current
72 TR6 project was send the distributor to Advanced and get it totally
rebuilt. So, if you think the problem may be spark related, get the
distributor rebuilt.

I had Jeff do mine and add the advance/retard micro thumb wheel similar to the
distributors on my 3 and 4.

He will set the curve for your specific engine requirements.

I believe the total cost for the rebuild was about 125$. All new internals,
points, condenser and the coil wire attachment. He also handles Petronix.

Bob