Re: [6pack] Left Hand turn stutter

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Left Hand turn stutter
From: Scott Tilton <triumph.tr4@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 13:28:22 -0400
Good timing on this thread . . . I just did a local autocross the other
weekend which had a couple of fairly long duration left hand turns.
During / immediately after each of them I had all kinds of nasty popping and
hesitating going on.
My fuel tank was VERY low at the time.  (Tank is not baffled - it is either
an original early 1970 tank or I swiped it from a TR4)

 (video links attached)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT_tIWpidEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1fy8pqwQ0

These are early 1970 strombergs, althought the fixed needles have been
replaced with adjustable ones.
The car isn't tuned worth a crap, so I'm not at the point of frustration at
not being able to solve it (yet)

I took the carbs off (put some weber down drafts in their place so I could
still drive the car) and started taking them apart to see what was what . .
.

My early carbs have a brass . . .uhh . . I'll call it a cup . ..  a big
brass cup that screws up around the tube under the jet.
It surrounds the jet, but has holes in the sides of it so that it will fill
up with fuel . . . (assuming the level of the fuel is above the holes.)
The bottom of this cup actually protrudes down through the bottom of the
float bowl and has a large slot in it (bigger than your average screwdriver)

Don't later carbs just have a plug blocking off this hole in the float bowl?
Do they have some sort of cup surrounding the jet tube?

I'm a little confused as to what the purpose of this cup is.
Is it kind of like a baffled fuel tank - or a swirl pot in a fuel injected
car's fuel tank?

I haven't thought it through completely  . . . but I am trying to picture
what happens during long duration, hard turn.
One where you are on and off the thottle a fair amount and enduring high
cornering forces . . .

I could imagine sucking most of the fuel out of this little "cup" and it not
getting replenished quickly enough once the turn is completed.

Like I said- I haven't thought it through . . .but this thread got me
thinking about it.

Scott Tilton

Signature below blatantly stolen from Bud Rolofson:

70TR6 CC5#### (Good 6)
63TR4 CT157## (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
64TR4 CT25### (The Project)
97F-150  L TRUCKO (Triumph Support Vehicle)
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (economic commuter vehicle)