Re: [6pack] Re-installing engine/trans rear mount w/OD

To: Douglas Morris <dcmdcm@nc.rr.com>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Re-installing engine/trans rear mount w/OD
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:26:04 -0700
        Doug:

        I agree that the rear tranny mount is pretty much a nightmare when you
have
an OD. This was my cross member modification that greatly eased (I didn't say
made it easy, I said it was EASIER) to install the OD. Rather than the factory
setup using bolts, washers and nuts with the bolts inserted from the top of
the cross member, I used four j-nuts so that I could insert the frame to cross
member bolts from below the car. Here is the McMaster-Carr item:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#90679a200/=3q95kk. I picked mine up at the hardware
store. I seem to recall enlarging the holes in the cross member slightly, to
get the j-nuts to seat properly. But I am not sure, too many controlled
substances imbibed in my college days, which means lots of dead and dying
brain cells. So many in fact, I can't remember to put on underwear before
coming to work, or I forget whether the underwear goes on the inside or the
outside....
        Forgot what I was saying... Oh, yeah. This made it trivial to fasten the
cross member to the frame. Attaching the OD to rear mount, well that was still
pretty tedious. But this change made an intolerable job at least manageable. I
used thread locker to keep the bolts from backing out.

        Cheers,

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom