[6pack] Soft top too tight?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Soft top too tight?
From: Al Plueddemann <aplueddemann@whoi.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 16:34:31 -0400
  Folks, I am in the final stages of installing a new soft top. I was
dreading a floppy mess, so was careful to tighten everything up at
the headliner before gluing. I may have over done it. The top can
barely be secured with two people working hard to get the latches in
and secured before it pops off again. And (per the instructions I was
following) the side snaps are not even attached yet. I expect that is
going to make it even tighter.

So, my question is... what is the collected wisdom on a top that is
initially very tight. Is this no big deal, it will loosen up with
time and use? Or have I made a mistake here and will be doomed in
the winter when things are cold and shrink up? Should I pull off the
glued headliner and start over? Can I use something like a heat gun
to loosen the top without redoing the glue? etc, etc. Any advice
appreciated.

--
   Al Plueddemann
   202A Clark Lab, MS-29                          phone: (508) 289-2789

6pack@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums