Re: [6pack] Rear tube shock conversion

To: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Rear tube shock conversion
From: Mark Luichinger via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 12:22:09 -0400
Cc: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-AB09C823-7DDA-43FF-B2D6-73571698371A
        charset=utf-8

Has anyone tried Ratco=E2=80=99s coil over shock conversion.  It seems to be=
 the right way to do this type of conversion.=20

Sent from my iPad

> On May 11, 2020, at 8:24 AM, DAVID MASSEY via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>=
 wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> There are several tube shock conversion kits out there and there are sever=
al significant differences.  I know of three styles:
>=20
> #1 A simple bracket that mounts to the inner wheel well.  This one is evil=
.  This kit transfers all the shock loading to the bodywork which was not de=
signed to this and will suffer for it.  Avoid at all costs.
>=20
> #2 Multi-piece.  This has a series of three brackets on each side.  There i=
s a bracket that mounts to the inner wheel well as in the on above but it al=
so bolts up to another bracket in the recess by the gas tank which mounts up=
 to yet another bracket that bolts up to the mount for the lever shock.  Thi=
s kit transfers the shock loading to the frame point that was designed for i=
t.  The down side is there are six pieces requiring 16 new holes in the body=
work and the brackets are bulky.  I removed mine after I found the tire on o=
ne side was rubbing against the bracket in the wheel well.
>=20
> #3 single bracket direct to the frame.  This part is unique in its appeara=
nce in that it has a serpentine shape, mounts to the frame where the lever s=
hock mounts and reaches up to accept the top of the shock.  It has been said=
 that this bracket will crack the frame since it has a long lever arm and co=
uld apply additional torque to the mount.  But a quick vector analysis indic=
ates that the forces are parallel to the long axis of the bracket and the lo=
ading on the frame will be not significantly different that those applied by=
 the original lever shock.  The TR6 frame is infamous for having weak spots b=
ut the shock mount is not one of them.  The differential mount certainly is a=
nd 40 year old frames tend to experience cracking regardless of what shock s=
ystem is used.
>=20
> I've used #2 and #3 and, more recently, switched back to lever shocks re-v=
alved by World Wide Auto Parts and find this a good solution for street use.=
  I suppose I could have tried a series of telescopic shocks with #3 but hav=
ing other irons in the fire I did not pursue that approach.=20
>=20
> Dave=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
wist of university motors has a video cautioning folks with this mod on thei=
r b to check the bolts on their conversion brackets.   I checked this on my 6=
 and all 4 bolts were nicely tight after many years. Also, no frame cracking=
 that I could see.    After some of the horror storis about this conversion,=
   I might not do it again=20
> Cheers   bruce simms
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/luichinger=
@comcast.net
>=20

--Apple-Mail-AB09C823-7DDA-43FF-B2D6-73571698371A
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Has anyone tried Ratco=E2=80=99s coil over s=
hock conversion. &nbsp;It seems to be the right way to do this type of conve=
uote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF
e and there are several significant differences.&nbsp; I know of three style=
s:</font></div>

l.&nbsp; This one is evil.&nbsp; This kit transfers all the shock loading to=
 the bodywork which was not designed to this and will suffer for it.&nbsp; A=
void at all costs.</font></div>

ets on each side.&nbsp; There is a bracket that mounts to the inner wheel we=
ll as in the on above but it also bolts up to another bracket in the recess b=
y the gas tank which mounts up to yet another bracket that bolts up to the m=
ount for the lever shock.&nbsp; This kit transfers the shock loading to the f=
rame point that was designed for it.&nbsp; The down side is there are six pi=
eces requiring 16 new holes in the bodywork and the brackets are bulky.&nbsp=
; I removed mine after I found the tire on one side was rubbing against the b=
racket in the wheel well.</font></div>

 is unique in its appearance in that it has a serpentine shape, mounts to th=
e frame where the lever shock mounts and reaches up to accept the top of the=
 shock.&nbsp; It has been said that this bracket will crack the frame since i=
t has a long lever arm and could apply additional torque to the mount.&nbsp;=
 But a quick vector analysis indicates that the forces are parallel to the l=
ong axis of the bracket and the loading on the frame will be not significant=
ly different that those applied by the original lever shock.&nbsp; The TR6 f=
rame is infamous for having weak spots but the shock mount is not one of the=
m.&nbsp; The differential mount certainly is and 40 year old frames tend to e=
xperience cracking regardless of what shock system is used.</font></div>

o lever shocks re-valved by World Wide Auto Parts and find this a good solut=
ion for street use.&nbsp; I suppose I could have tried a series of telescopi=
c shocks with #3 but having other irons in the fire I did not pursue that ap=
proach. <br>

riginal Message-----<br>