Re: [6pack] Rear tube shock conversion

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Rear tube shock conversion
From: Mark J Bradakis via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 11:04:15 -0600
Back in the summer of 1990, maybe '91, my wife and I took a vacation in
Wales and England.  And gosh, somehow our trip just happened to coincide
with the TR Register's 21st annual gathering.  That was an amazing
event, relly  enjoyed it.

One of the many vendors was Racetorations.  They had on display a tube
shock conversion kit that was this fancy, intricate bit of welded
aluminum plate that was in the style of bolt to the original shock
mounts.  A bit past prototype, but not quite production ready, I ended
up buying the kit for my TR-250 I had at the time.  One car I really
wish I had not sold.

Anyway, we came within a minute or two of missing our flight back to the
States because the customs guys at Heathrow were absolutely, positively
certain that the bright yellow metal cylinders in my suitcase, the Spax
shocks, were actually some sort of bombs.  I can't recall for certain,
but I think I ended up showing them an ad in some magazine that featured
Spax shocks that convinced them to let me through with my prized
acquisition.  It was close, though!

mjb.

ps:  I also have a set of those amazing, wonderful brackets that just
bolt to the body sheet metal.  Such classic parts must be worth a small
fortune!