Chrome Plating in Singapore

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Chrome Plating in Singapore
From: Tim Wilkinson <timwilk@magix.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 23:56:37 +0800
As a newbie to the list perhaps I should introduce myself first. I'm a
Brit living in Singapore for the past 9.5 years and after 8.5 years of
living in this tropical city without a car I finally cracked last year
and bought a Series IV (my last car incidentally in the UK was a Series
V). To my knowledge this is one of only 2 in Singapore, the other being
a Series V. Although the classic car market here is very limited and
good workshops simply don't exist, one advantage is that they make parts
last. I was pleasantly surprised when examining the car before buying
it, to find it still has the original engine (B94103983RRO) which as far
as I'm aware make it's 35 years old this week.

In the past year I've slowly been going through refurbishing/replacing
everything from the brake calipers to the interior trim and fighting
occasional overheating problems. An anonymous "kind" soul recently
managed to break the passenger side door glass when winding it up and
not knowing the special technique of guiding it up with both hands.
Having shipped in a replacement glass and new set of rubber seals I've
gotten a bit distracted from the original task and stripped down the
entire door including all the rubbers, lock, quarterlight glass/frame,
window winder mechanism, etc.

So now to the reason for posting this request. I would like to have the
door handle, quarterlight frame and a few other pieces re-chromed but
before I search for a local plating shop I need some advise. Can, and
should, the original chrome be stripped off before re-plating? How thick
should I specify the new chrome plating to be? The local standard of
workmanship is typically to do a quick and dirty job if they can get
away with it, so any advise on what to specify, would be greatly
appreciated.

Tim