Re: Chrome Plating in Singapore

To: "(unknown)" <ALPINES@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chrome Plating in Singapore
From: Tom Yang <TYang@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 22:31:43 -0400
<<...So now to the reason for posting this request. I would like to have
the
door handle, quarterlight frame and a few other pieces re-chromed but
before I search for a local plating shop I need some advise. Can, and
should, the original chrome be stripped off before re-plating? How thick
should I specify the new chrome plating to be? The local standard of
workmanship is typically to do a quick and dirty job if they can get
away with it, so any advise on what to specify, would be greatly
appreciated.

Welcome to the list!

As far as I understand chrome plating, it's not in the number of layers of
chrome that makes a good finish, but rather in the surface preparation.
Good chrome usually has an under layer of copper to give a good smooth
layer for the chrome layer to stick to. The original metal surface is
smoothed, and polished, then the copper is plated onto the surface, then
polished befroe any chrome is applied. How smooth the under layers are,
will show in the final coats of chrome.

Good luck.

Tom Yang
1966 Series V