Racing Alpine

To: "alpine folks" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Racing Alpine
From: "Kurt Eckert" <kurt.eckert@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:31:03 -0400
Howdy All,

Well it's official. Thanks to the magic of stock options, I now have more
money than sense!

Those of you who have been on the list for a while may remember that my
original Series III GT project was pronounced DABS (Dead At Body Shop) due
to advanced oxidation syndrome. Well what happened was it was parked out
behind the shop to slowly become a lump of red dust.

Last time I was there visiting, "I had an idear" as we say in Vermont. What
if I turned it into a racer. As it is dead already, I have fewer
reservations about hacking it up (not that there is anything wrong with
that). I have all the patch panels and as it would be a racer I wouldn't
have to worry about making it look really pretty.

Does anyone have any good spots to get information about stuff like this?
Specifically what type of racing would be good to focus on? It appears that
I would fall into SCCA Solo II Group H. However that is a pretty limited
class as you can't do that many mods. Has anyone been involved in Solo II?
Could I get into a class that allows more mods? Would that be realistic?
What is the best beer to drink while building a Solo II car, domestic,
imported, micro? What about other racing classes? Any information on the
subkect would be helpful as I consider this new money pit of an adventure.

Thanks,
Kurt Eckert