Progress report

Subject: Progress report
From: Irwin J Kostal <bigfoot@relaypoint.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:27:43 -0700
Thought I'd update everyone on the state of my restoration.  There is an
outfit (I don't have an address or phone number yet, but it's readily
available) who will provide an off-the-shelf top for $350.  Jim Rickman
has ordered one of these, and plans to have a fellow install it for
him.  I suppose this would add another $50 to $100 to the cost.  I've
spoken to Mario, who is going to do my upholstery, and he will give me a
fitted top (not canvas) for $500, and will provide additional tops
(though not fitted), using the template created for mine, to provide
additional tops for about $250 each.

That seems to be the best I can do.  I've been waiting to see how
Rickman's would come out, but he's got his car buried in his shop and
can't move it readily, so it may be I'll have to make a decision very
soon.  If so, I'm going to let Mario have the job, because the cost will
be about the same, and then I'll have just one place to go for any
upholstery problems I may have.

Incidentally, I've decided to go with Naugahyde rather than leather, and
am not having the trunk carpeted and lined, so I've got the cost of the
job (not counting the top) to $1900.  I haven't heard any better prices
any place, and he wants pictures of originals, so he can try to emulate
it as much as possible.

All this is immanent, because the first coats of real paint are going on
the car next week, and we should be starting final reassembly of the car
by July 1st!  Boy, and I hot to trot!!!!!

Irv