Re: air filters

To: Tim Stiffy <tstiffy@pulsenet.com>
Subject: Re: air filters
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 05:41:33 -0600
Tim Stiffy wrote:

> Have any advice for replacing the "gravel strainer" air filters on the
> Series 1 engine?  I'd like to be able to easily switch back to the original
> for shows. I haven't found anything that low enough to clear the hood.
>
> Tim Stiffy
> Series 1 Alpine

> Tim:

I have the same idea ( would like to covert to K&N) and once contacted K&N with
measurements of what I thought would fit . They wrote back within a few days
and recommended a particular model, but I placed a piece of styrofoam with
their dimensions on top of the carbs, and it touched (also, price quoted was
$40+ U.S. each). My local distributor for K&N didn't have that model housing in
stock, and would not order unless I prepaid (nonreturnable). I couldn't justify
spending that much on something that would have to be modified anyway, so I
jury-rigged a temporary set-up and have been using that since. If you want to
try K&N again, they are at

http://www.knfilters.com/

I have since decided that I am going to try to fabricate the airbox that joined
the twin Zeniths  on a Series III (they seem very hard to get) and use a K&N
replacement for a single fender mount filter (the housing I intend to get from
something at an auto wrecker).
If you are interested in something like this, let me know.

Ron Tebo - Series I - B9000627