Cutting weight from a Sunbeam

To: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Subject: Cutting weight from a Sunbeam
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:14:45 -0700
Howdy everyone,
     I plan on racing a Sunbeam Alpine in historic races. I have found ways
to lighten the car, but one of the ways that I could do it that is beyond my
capabilities is to make an Aluminum trunk lid. Since I can't do that, (well,
I probably could, but the cost of the initial screw ups is out of the
question,), I would like to try some other methods. Has anyone cut the
ribbing out of the trunklid to lighten it, only to be told that they could
not do it within their class, in the sanctioning body they race in?
     I made doors out of Aluminum and they are light, but now the sunbeam
hinges seem MASSIVE in bulk, and I am wondering if anyone has cut them down
to lighten them, or if safety might be an issue. I would like any and all
suggestions. Lou