Re: Wiring alternative Alternator

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wiring alternative Alternator
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 17:40:01 -0700

>I have been following the alt discussion and am
>curious why you changed from the stock alt that was
>on your S5? I have a S2 with the stock generator
>and am tempted to make the switch it sounds so easy. Would it
>also pertain to this series Alpine as long as it was
>neg ground?

I had to change.  You see, I took out the compact SV cast exhaust manifold
and put in tubular headers like your earlier car would have.  The stock
alternator would not fit as it would hit the manifold.  I even had problems
finding a smaller alternator to fit.  I do know that the headers that I
have are a little different than the stock S2 headers, and interfere more.
So there should not be a problem with the stock headers.  I also know my
sister's S2 has a small Hitachi alternator on it.  I don't know what number
it is.  I did note that the bracket on her car, resumably from the
generator that was there before was still there and being used.  However,
it was wider than the stock SV alternator bracket.  If I recall correctly,
someone mounted the front tab of the alternator to the front tab of the
bracket and had a short tub between the back tab of the alternator and the
back tab of the bracket.  I don't know what else was done to align the
pulley, but it looks good, solid and aligned.  I can look more carefully if
someone was interested.  It might be a few weeks until I see it though.

Or, you can see them both at Woodley Park, CA.

The basic wiring would still be the same, given the negative ground.  I do
not know however what the colors of the wires are.  But, that's easy enough
to figure out from the earlier diagrams.  Since there are only 4 wires
involved, you could probably just ignore the stock ones entirely, and run
new ones for the alternator.

Jay