Re: engine removal and conversions

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Subject: Re: engine removal and conversions
From: sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 18:23:19 -0700
Jay:
You certainly make some good points with regards to #2. Fabrication is a
pain, but I was able to "single source" my swap kit from one
manufacturer (Joe Rodriguez) and my actual swap work from one
source--Smitty.  I realize that that may not be usual, but I spoke with
a local gentleman who did a V-8 swap and also had his version of a
"smitty" to work with, so it's not unheard of.

With regards to #3, those were also excellent points.  There were times
while doing the conversion when I said to myself "this will never be a
modern car, why not just get something new and be done with it"?  But
what I've wound up with is a classic car that looks like a stock
sunbeam, goes better than it used to--and doesn't look like anything
else on the road today.  A modern car would certainly out-perform it,
but they just look so blah!  As for proving that it's faster than a
stock Alpine--well, it's true that I haven't had any stoplight drag
races, but I wouldn't race a tiger with my car--he'd clean my clock. No
reason to expect that I could coax a stock Alpine to race with me
either. But I "know" (seat of the pants) that it's faster than stock and
that's good enough for me.  As for vintage racing--well, I never planned
on that anyway.  Someday when I'm feeling brave I'll learn how to slalom
my car, but that's probably about it for competition for me.
I just wanted a car that looked elegant and different and had a little
more "grunt" getting on the freeway or passing a slowpoke.  And that's
what I have.

The Brits have a grand old tradition of "specials".  I'd like to think
that (in a very loose sense) I'm continuing that tradition with my
british car.

As far as getting more money out of it than a stock alpine--heck, I
don't know.  My wife made a good point when we started this: "If you
spend $10,000 (uhhhmmm--maybe) making it into what you want and enjoying
it and we keep it for 10 years, you'll have had a hobby that only cost
$1,000 a year.  That's not bad".
Burgeoning money pit aside, she's got a good point.  I don't expect to
make money on this.  I HOPE that if I keep it long enough I won't lose
LOTS of money on it.  And I'll have FUN with it in the meantime.

And isn't having fun--regardless whether they're stock or
modified--really what owning these cars is all about?

Regards

David Sosna
65 S4 GT V6 that's lots of fun and still hasn't finished draining my
wallet:)