Re: engine removal and conversions

To: sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com
Subject: Re: engine removal and conversions
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:01:31 -0700
David Sosna's points on his conversion are right on, and on re-reading my
post, I realized I may have been more negative than intended.  I think
conversions are great things.  When I redid my car, I went the "stock"
Holbay route rather than the 2 liter overhead cam Ford route I was thinking
about.  To this day, I don't know if I did the right thing.  Though, I will
say that when I made the decision, I did not know of Joe Rodriguez's work.
Who knows, I may have gone that route had I known of it.

As to reliability, the Alpine engine does tend to be very reliable.  In my
23 years of ownership, I have never had a failure because of anything
engine related.  I have had one (just one) alternator go bad.  I have had
one starter (just one) go bad.  I have had hydraulics go bad.  I attribute
the hydraulic failures mostly to excessively hard use by a teenager (me 21
years ago) and then poor rebuilds by that same teenager.  But, other than
that, the car has just keep on humming as a daily driver - until someone
else hit it, and my recent problem with my tranny.  So, don't run away from
the engine on those grounds alone.

Ok, here I go again getting negative on a swap.  I repeat, it's a great
idea.  Just do it for the right reasons and with the right expectations.

Jay