Re: Mirrors on doors or fenders

To: bmounce@bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: Mirrors on doors or fenders
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:27:35 -0800
Yes, and let me add what I quoted in my Feature on
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org :

"
Howes wrote about the Alpine "I wanted it to look fast, to have a clean,
sculptured form, without ornamentation and have a good aerodynamic shape."
He also expressed his opinion about the future of designing cars in a
magazine just before he designed the Alpine: "the car will obtain its
beauty from purity in shape, relying less and less on bits and pieces of
chrome trappings idly and often ostentatiously placed here and there on
the body." "From the very beginning, this was a car whose theme included a
relatively low front end, with headlamps in the corners, and with a
waistline which rose relentlessly towards the rear where it ended with a
pair of fins," wrote Graham Robson, who worked at Rootes in the 60s, in
his recent book "Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger."
"
Note "without ornamentation"  "less bits and pieces of chrome"  "idly and
often ostentationsly placed"  "here and there on the body."

With that in mind, the Alpine was not meant to be a "classic" British car,
but a move forward.  As such, mirrors from the 50's do not belong on the
fenders!

Jay