Re: VOLVO Clutch

To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VOLVO Clutch
From: "Alkon" <alkon@bigpond.com.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:14:22 +1000
The difference between the diaphragm spring clutch and the "long" type that
has not been mentioned is the operating pressues.
The diaphragm spring has more pressure on the driven plate but requires less
pedal pressure to disengage than the long type.
this translates into a nicer drive.

Mixing a better pressure plate with the original driven plate is the easy
way to keep compatability with the original gearbox.

A larger diameter clutch often creates problems at higher RPM while solving
grip or heat problems. Rootes went from the small early clutch to a larger
unit then reverted to a smaller diameter later in production for some
reason.

If it is desired to fit a larger clutch then remachining the flywheel to
suit a diaphragm style pressure plate and having the gearbox front bearing
retainer modified to the Volvo style throwout bearing is the best option.
Your clutch rebuilder can fit the Alpine driven plate splines into any size
driven plate you desire. This option is best coupled with an adjustable
clutch slave cylinder rod to optimise clutch operation.

I still have doubts that the cluch is at fault. But short of fitting pick
ups for data logging to the crank and gearbox input shaft  and monitoring
the differences in rpm of each item as well as clutch pedal position I can't
conclusively prove anything.
One of my speedway racing friends was the biggest cluch destroyer, denied
any "bad habits".
 I put a brake light switch on his clutch pedal that turned on a big red
light on the dash of his car every time he left his foot "resting" on the
clutch pedal. This "lie indicator" could be seen from outside the car as
well :-))
He soon modified his ingrained driving habit and we spent less time
replacing burned out clutches.
WE were racing Holden powered speedway cars. My car was a Torana XU1 with
tripple Dellorto carbs, yellow terra heads ect. etc.
Revved out to over 7000rpm never had a clutch failure using a standard
Holden heavy duty clutch as fitted to the 1 tonner Ute range.

Keith
55 Californian