Re: SV: "Hillman - " Starter

To: kkj@privat.utfors.se, alpines@autox.team.net, hillman@can-inc.com
Subject: Re: SV: "Hillman - " Starter
From: JACranwell@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 07:41:55 EST
Guys,

Just think yourselves lucky you're not contemplating replacing the starter on
some modern cars.

I did just that this weekend on a BMW 525i. The entire fuel
injection/induction system/manifold etc. have to be removed to get at it,
plus various other bits and pieces. It took a good 4 hours. I'd be unhappy if
it took more than 30 mins on the Alpine.

Mind you, when I finally got to it, I was surprised at how light and compact
it was, considering it has to spin a 200BHP engine. One of the advantages of
modern engineering I guess.

I would agree with the thread that the throw-out type starter does eventually
damage the starter ring teeth, although usually not before a rebuild needs to
be scheduled anyway. I've also had one case of the starter ring being almost
hammered clear of the flywheel, when I overhauled a 1600 Alpine engine. I
guess that would be unlikely with the pre-engaged solenoid type.

Julian - SIII with original starter (starts every time)