Re: SV: "Hillman - " Starter

To: KKJ <kkj@privat.utfors.se>
Subject: Re: SV: "Hillman - " Starter
From: Ron Tebo <mrtebo@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:06:44 -0700
Kristian:

Although I hate to defend the "Prince of Darkness", I have to say that I
have been abusing my early series starter for many years, and was so
confident it would fail that I have an rebuilt unit all ready to go in!
The reason for the abuse is that once or twice a month during the long
winters (was minus 33 C here just over 2 weeks ago, and we won't plant
until the end of May!) I start my Alpine and get it good and hot. The
abuse is a result of deliberately not priming carbs or choking until the
oil pressure comes up. I run the starter in 15-20 second bursts until I
see pressure on the guage. This is hard on the starter but (I think)
preserves the engine. It has been 18 years now, and still starts
immediately when I choke it after the pressure appears.

Ron Tebo - Series I - B9000627