Re: Rack and pinion steering

To: alpine87fp@msn.com
Subject: Re: Rack and pinion steering
From: JACranwell@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 04:21:18 EDT
Roger,

The slop could be caused by a number of things. Unless the box has been left
dry of oil, it is seldom a problem with the worm gear or bearings, as these
are pretty tough.

Other suspects are the rocker shaft bush, at the bottom of the box or general
wear and tear.

I have succeeded in taking out the slop in one of my cars by removing some of
the shims at the top of the box. This is a quick win, as these are easily
accessible under the top cover plate, and does not require the box to be pulled
from the car, which is a bloody awful job.

It takes a bit of trial and error, as the steering will be too tight if you
remove too much shim. If you try this, also check the condition of the damper
springs, and anything else you can get to.

If you need it, I can scan the diagram from the manual. Let me know.

Julian.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: