autox-cm

Re: Asphalt and jump batteries

To: lbracing@excite.com, autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Asphalt and jump batteries
From: VDieman@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:19:48 EDT
In a message dated 4/26/01 12:12:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lbracing@excite.com writes:

<< This past weekend, I noticed a certain Reynard driver using a piece of wood
 under his jump battery. After asking him why, he said someone once told him
 that putting the battery case in contact with asphalt can cause the battery
 to discharge.

 Can anyone confirm and/or elaborate? I put ours right on terra firma, and
 was wondering if I really need to start carting around yet *another* piece
 of wood.

 Thanks--

 Ross/Paula Fortini
 1988 Van Diemen

Batteries tend to discharge when placed on reinforced concrete for prolonged
periods.  I don't think sitting a battery on the ground at an autocross grid
is a big problem.

IMHO,

Bill Engle JR

///