RE: New car classifications

To: autox@autox.team.net, tgentry@execpc.com
Subject: RE: New car classifications
From: Pat MacAvoy <patmac@tridelta.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:49:31 -0500 (EST)
> From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
>
> While a points based system doesn't banish me for having a single mod that
>some committee doesn't like (unless it's a safety issue), the bucket method
>does just that.
>
>       <<Both have their downsides and their upsides.>>
>
> I've seen a few comments on this stating effectively the same thing.  That
>both systems have good and bad, and neither one is really better.  My point
>is, I think the point system IS BETTER, especially for grass roots level, "run
>what ya brung" type competition.  I stated previously my reasons for that
>belief, and I'm still waiting to hear what the good points of the bucket
>(SCCA) system are, or conversely why the point system isn't as good as I think
>it is.

The plus to the SCCA 'bucket' type classing is that it is manageable.  BMWCCA
  and PCA both use points-type classing.  They also handle probably around
  5% of the possible cars that SCCA tries to make competitive.  The work
  in trying to make a usable points-type classing structure with the
  mix of cars that SCCA serves would be next to impossible.  I've done
  tech at PCA events where it has taken us 5 minutes to decide what class
  a car is in.

You'd also have people complaining 'he only gets one point for changing timing,
  but I get 3 points milling my head 0.020!'  It won't make anybody any
  happier, yet it will alienate the club members that have spent thier
  money to prepare the cars to the rules.

If you want to compete regionally, you (most likely) can.  If you want
  a car that has national aspirations, you're gonna have to buy one with
  that in mind, unless you get REAL lucky.  Ideally, all cars will be
  competitive.  In reality, under Stock category rules especially, some
  cars will be more competitive than others.  And I don't see anything
  changing that.

pat(SCCA's classing structure is also easier to explain to newbies)mac
Pat MacAvoy
a.k.a. konekiller@tridelta.com
84 CS RX7 GSL-SE (for sale, see http://www.suite224.net/~patmac)
88 CS 924S-SE (CS gun)