Re: New car classifications

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New car classifications
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:32:53 -0500
> Wow. So even just based on this abbreviated list, most of the top SP
>cars in SCCA would exceed the modified points allowance by a fair
>margin. Hell, my still street legal CSP 914 almost exceeds the MC
>Modified limit. I'm going to make an assumption here, please correct me
>if I'm wrong. But it seems to me that the MC rules are geared toward a
>daily-driver enthusiasts car, and not a car built specifically for
>competition. Hell, an SCCA stock class car would find itself in MC
>Prepared and knocking on the door of MC Modified.

That is my interpretation as well.  However, it also lets people who do a
lot of work on their cars, make lots of high point value mods, and spend
lots of money on it compete with others who have done the same.  All that,
plus the "run whatcha brung" stock and prepared classes let people without
the time and resources you have to still be competitive with each other.
Under the SCCA system your car would smoke theirs every time.  Without at
least a chance of being competitive that would tend to drive people away who
might otherwise stick around, and maybe spend at least a little money (if
that's all they can afford) on their cars.

The "racing is an expensive sport" argument has already been made.  I'm not
going to argue that point, because it's correct.  However, the MC system
lets someone make next to no initial investment in the sport to give it a
try.  If they find themselves doing well and get hooked, at that point they
can and probably would spend the money to soup up their cars.  Unless, of
course, they enjoy the challenge of driving a slow car fast. :)

    - Justin