Re: SO Class???

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SO Class???
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:13:48 -0400
Katie Kelly wrote:

> The significant other class is unlimited to gender, experience
> behind the wheel, driving ability, seriousness, involvement
> in the sport, so on and so forth. Technically, nothing changes,
> but now the Ladies class is open to both genders. Every email I
> read about this contains text pondering the significance of
> defining one's competitiveness or seriousness in autox for
> eligibility in the SO class. This isn't about that. We're just
> letting MEN run in the Ladies class! Why is this so difficult?

Well, because now you've split the classes in half. Instead of "B Stock Open"
and "B Stock Ladies" you've effectively created "B Stock A" and "B Stock B".

If there's no technical difference between the classes, then how do you choose
which class to run in? Will there be "BSA" and "BSB" National Champions? Will
Mazda pay full contingency in both "BSA" and "BSB"?

If you're going to have two classes, then there has to be some defining
characteristic between the two. Currently, it's gender. Would your "SO" class
require that you have actually have a SO running in Open? Urk, try policing
that!

Now if the SO class was a "no times and/or no trophies" class, you'd have
something. However, with no times and/or no trophies, then there's really no
need to class CARS at all (times no longer matter) so then the SO class becomes
one consolidated class (which may not be a bad idea)

So how does this sit with you: Eliminate Ladies, and create a no-trophy SO class
for anyone who wants to run in it?

DG