Re: Wheel spacers and torque

To: ronbauer@aa.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel spacers and torque
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:25:32 EDT
ronbauer@aa.net writes:

<< I use spacers also and have never had this problem.  However, I do the
wheel
 change thing slightly different.  Rather than hand tightening and then
 completely lowering the car to torque the lugnuts, I lower the car just
 enough for the tires to be on the ground to do the torquing. >>

You don't even have to lower the wheel.  Rotate the tire so the lug to be
torqued is positioned parallel to the ground (9:00 position) and apply the
torque wrench also parallel to the ground so that it is crossing back across
the centerpoint of the hub (9:00 position across to the 3:00 position) as you
hold the wheel from rotating with the other hand.  By crossing the torque
wrench across the centerpoint of the hub bearing you create a second torque
arm that helps cancel out a significant portion of the rotating torque
created by tightening the lug.  From there on a 5 lug system just keep
rotating the wheel to position every 2nd lug in the 9:00 position and you
will get a perfect crossbolt pattern.

M Sipe