Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software (and hardware?)

Subject: Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software (and hardware?)
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:18:14 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 GSMnow@aol.com wrote:
> (1) do you want "the box" to give a complete time for each car, OR give an
> absolute time of every start and finish?

With the large caveat that I'm not planning on writing any scoring
software and won't be any time soon, I'd prefer to see the absolute time
of every start and finish.  Otherwise the box needs to know how many cars
are on course, be kept in synch, etc. etc. etc.  The host pc is good at
that stuff.  Making the box good at it will be redundent and annoying.

The only caveat with that is that you can't run in stand alone mode (in
the event of host computer failure).  To do that, you'd need a bank of 8
segment LEDS and a reset switch.  If that were cheap, I'd say to add it
(one car at a time, etc. etc.  Super simple fallback "only to be used if
absolutely required" etc.).  If it weren't cheap, then I could probably
accept that my computer has to work for the system to work.

Mark