Re: Blast from the Past...Again...

To: "Team. net" <autox@autox.team.net>, "Alan Scheidler" <PbPied@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Blast from the Past...Again...
From: "Alex Quirk" <vquirk@penn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 21:03:06 -0400
Alan & Alan..

Wasn't the   Starfire  a GM 'B' (full-size) body Special  based off of the
61-62 & 63-64 Olds Dynamic 88 with a High Compression Olds 394 ci
engine.....

AND

the     Jetfire     the    First generation 61-63 GM 'A'(intermediate) body
F-85/Cutlass....with a 3.5 liter / 215 ci Iron-Sleeved Aluminum Buick engine
with a turbo? (The same design that Buick later(64?) sold to Rover for the
3500 sedan...the TR8 and the Range Rover)   I also think that it developed 1
HP per Cubic Inch which made it sprightly in a 2800 pound car...They WERE a
nice sized small sedan...

The interesting part is that the Buick Special / Skylark 'A' body that
donated the 215 to the Pontiac Tempest / Lemans and Olds F-85 / Cutlass
NEVER had the Turbo option   and   didn't the Turbo require some special
water injection system with alcohol additive back then in 1963?  Wasn't the
base Buick V-6 225ci a lopped-off version of the Buick V-8  and  powered the
larger 'A' body Buick Special / Skylark beginning in 1964?

A little bit before my time to drive,    I was 8 then....   How 'bout it
Phil Ethier???????

     Alex Quirk
     St Marys  PA   vquirk@penn.com
     "enjoy what you drive and DRIVE IT WELL!!!"

>Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 08:09:42 EDT
>From: PbPied@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Blast from the Past
>The Oldsmobile with the turbo was labeled the "Jetfire", as has been said.
>The little alloy V-8 is still popular with some rodders and racers.  Wasn't
>it also the TR8 motor?
>My brother had a V-8 Starfire (n/a) and the family had a Corvair (also
n/a),
>but one of my high school friends had the Jetfire.  I may have been new to
>driving, and therefore impressionable, but...  That car was FAST!
>A year or two ago someone offered one described as "original" for sale via
>a flyer on the local post office bulletin board.  I should have gone and
>looked
>at it, but value domestic harmony too much to bring home another car.
Seems