Re: BFG R1 "groove of death"

To: autox@autox.team.net, seanlong@micron.net
Subject: Re: BFG R1 "groove of death"
From: "Jan Schmidt" <jschmidt@kumc.edu>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 11:05:33 -0500
Sean
BFG says you avoid the groove of doom by having them shaved when they are brand
new. But us po-folks prefer to run higher pressures to avoid the g.o.d. Higher
pressures will make you lose cornering /handling abilities, but it is a whole
lot cheaper than shaving. Guess what, I use high pressures and dont even dream
of shaving.
Bill Schmidt cs rx7 kc reg (budget racing)

>>> "Sean Long" <seanlong@micron.net> 10/02 9:54 PM >>>
Hello all,

I have a set of BFG R1's, and after some 50 runs or so, a groove is wearing
about 1/3 of the way in from the outside edge.  I've been told that this is
a common problem, but nobody local seems to know how to fix it.

I'm running them on a '98 Firebird in F-Stock, and the pressures that seem
to work the best are 40-42 in front and 30 in the rear.  I haven't been able
to get a temperature gauge, and the last time I ran them it was on concrete
on a cold day so the tires only got barely above ambient temps unless I
scrubbed them hard by accident.

Any suggestions to keep the groove from increasing would be appreciated.  As
it is now, it looks like I'll be cording the tires in the groove long before
the corners show cord.

Sean Long
'98 Trans-Am, FS