(The moral of) The Final Story

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: (The moral of) The Final Story
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 16:35:47 EDT
In a message dated 10/4/99 8:25:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pfoster@gdi.net
writes:

>  T&S threw away the +100 second runs, caught most of the +10
>  second
>  runs (except Chuck Sample, Becky Johnson, and a few others), but there
>  were
>  also +1, +.1, +.01, and +.001 runs that never could be detected.

As a PC member for Chuck's protest, I can tell you the moral of the story.
If there is a "problem" with timing, the Event Chair, Chief Steward or
whoever is in charge needs to know ASAP so a rerun can be granted before
conditions change.  The time can be recorded privately, and then the PC has
the option as to whether the original time stands or the rerun is used.
Without that (such as was the case in '89, when conditions later were
considerably different due to rain), the PC has to say "Gee, we're sorry.  We
think you are correct, and that the time you were given is incorrect, but we
have no way to determine what time you actually turned."  In this case it
probably cost Chuck a National Championship.   It was probably the most
frustrating day I've ever had as a PC member.

CHD