RE: Rx7 TT in Super Stock

To: drmiller@cyberhighway.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rx7 TT in Super Stock
From: JYoungCJ@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 17:43:59 EDT
I've been running a '93 RX7 for about 2 years now. It is a lot of fun, but
much more difficult to drive than something like a Corvette.

>Are there any rumors or known cars coming to SS class that would
>make the Rx7 not the best car to have?

I'm wondering about the Audi TT, anyone else?

>I've been told that a 93  R1 gives pretty good value for what I want.
>Apparently the 94's have less rattles and are less likely to burn to
>the ground, but the 93's cost less and weigh slightly less.
>Looking around, I see quite a few advertised in the 15k-18k range,
>and some real cream puffs in the 22k range.

A '93 will be much easier to find. I think they made more in '93 than in '94
and '95 combined. As long as all of the TSB's have been done, a '93 should be
fine.

>Once I buy the car, what are the rest of the expenditures?
>Shocks and suspension bushings (stock) are pretty easy to see,
>as are a cat back exhaust system and K&N air filter and brake
>pads.
>What will the above cost?  Recommendations?

suspension bushing replacement - sounds cheap and easy. The dealership quoted
me over $2000 to replace all of the suspension bushings with factory
replacements. Many of them cost around $100 each. I would highly recommend
replacing only those necessary. If you join Mazda Competition, you will get
about a 40% discount from dealership parts prices.

I really like my setup with GAB Super R shocks and an Eibach FRONT sway bar.
I don't remember what I paid. The hot setup runs without a muffler - just
replace it with a straight pipe. The 2 cats muffle the noise enough so
removal of the muffler is almost unnoticable, but I have been told it really
helps the turbos spool up quicker.

>Under what circumstances do the catalytic converters get ruined
>and need replacement?

The cats go bad when they get too hot. It's hard to tell without removal and
visual inspection unless it is really bad.

>Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Go for it! There was a fully preped ASP RX7 for sale at about 26K. I think it
was posted on this list within the last month or so.

The transmission syncros are a little weak on these cars. Make sure you can
both shift into 5th without any sickening sounds and down shift to 1st
without coming to a complete stop.

Look out for those sunroofs. I really don't fit into my RX with a helmet and
I don't have a sunroof (I'm about 6'2").

Jim Young
Phoenix, AZ
'93 RX7 CYM SS